PLEASE READ TO THE END: FAQs, CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRE-CARE AND POST-CARE
WHAT IS MICROBLADING?
Microblading is a technique where fine lines are scratched into the surface of the skin, and pigment embedded. The strokes accurately replicate hair (as in a brow or hairline). Results can last from six months to over two years, depending on a variety of factors such as color of pigment, skin type, and lifestyle.
WHAT IS SEMI-PERMANENT MAKEUP?
Semi-permanent makeup are treatments that replicate perfectly applied conventional makeup, most frequently on the brows, lash line, lips, and hairline. This is done by inserting cosmetic pigments into the dermis layer of the skin. Also known as Permanent Make-up, Microblading, Micro-Pigmentation, Brow Embroidery, and Cosmetic Tattooing.
HOW LONG DOES THE RESULT LAST?
For brows and lip, up to two years. For eyeliner, three to five years. Hair color, skin type, after-care, and lifestyle also affect longevity of the results. Occasional touch-ups are a way to refresh the results. Done correctly, the treatments do not change color and fade naturally away with time. For areas such as brows, this allows future flexibility with shape, as standards of beauty change.
IS IT PAINFUL?
We use effective numbing creams that are FDA approved. On a scale of 1 to 10 with “1” being no discomfort, clients often experience between a 2 and 3 with the treatment. Other factors such as menstrual cycles also affect level of sensitivity.
IS IT SAFE?
All our pigments are cosmetic grade, meaning that they are sterilized and purified for cosmetic use. The ingredients used have been approved by the FDA for cosmetic use. Be wary of products that have not met safety standards, including those that contain “vegetable dyes” that are unstable and may change color after time. In addition, all our tools are single-use and discarded after the treatment. Our specialists are highly trained and experienced professionals, licensed by the State of Florida.
WHAT IS A HIGH DEFINITION BROW (HD Brows)?
It is our signature treatment, where we create your brow strand-by-strand using lifelike strokes applied directly onto the skin, using a technique called Microblading. The treatment replaces eyebrow pencils, and assures perfectly shaped and balanced brows all-day, everyday. The High Definition Brow lasts up to two years, then fades naturally without any discoloration.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A HIGH DEFINITION BROW CONSULTATION?
Brow hair grade and color is analyzed, and the desired shape is drawn on with a specialized pencil. We will draw each strand to create a symmetrical, natural-looking brow that is custom-made for your bone structure, giving you the chance to see how dramatically new brows change your face. Once you are satisfied with the shape and thickness, the therapist consults with you on color— we mix and match with the hue to ensure we get a shade that is closest to your natural hair color . We will also discuss the procedure, the after-care, how long it takes the skin to heal, and how to ensure the best results. Consultations at Wax Cabana are always free with no obligation to proceed with the treatment.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A HIGH DEFINITION BROW TREATMENT?
The technician will create your brow by hand, strand by strand. A topical numbing cream is applied that stays on for about 20 minutes, and then a special tool is used to make small, hair-shaped incisions in the skin underneath the brow– this technique is also known as Microblading. The shallow etchings are filled with highest-grade pharmaceutical pigments selected to match or darken arches. The treatment takes about two hours, with enough time to assess each step of the way.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME?
There is no downtime, however the brow will take about one week to fully heal. The brow will soften in color by up to 40-50%. During this period, after-care procedures should be carefully followed.
HOW LONG DOES THE MICROBLADING TAKE?
The procedure is split into 2 appointments which are 4 weeks apart to allow for the healing process to complete. The initial procedure (foundation brow) will take from 60 to 90 minutes, and your second perfection appointment takes around 60 minutes. This is where the brow’s thickness can be added to and color darkened if required.
Occasionally a third session is required – please see the pricing information on the Brow Microblading page for more info on this.
CAN I HAVE THIS TREATMENT IF I AM PREGNANT? (included in contraindications page)
Although there is no research to suggest this procedure would be detrimental, unfortunately you cannot have this treatment if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
CAN I DO THIS WHEN GETTING CHEMOTHERAPY? (included in contraindications page)
No, unfortunately due to you being at higher risk of infection, this treatment is not covered under insurance.
DO I NEED A PATCH TEST?
Yes, for insurance reasons all clients need a prick test at least 48 hours before the procedure.
HOW IS THE COLOR CHOSEN?
The Wax Cabana Microblade Technician has been trained to the highest level in color theory and will devise a bespoke brow suited to yourself.
CAN I PAY BY INSTALLMENTS?
Yes, please speak to Wax Cabana regarding the options available. It is best to have the consultation and patch test and within that decide on a payment plan.
HOW CAN I PAY?
We accept Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover and Cash
WHAT IS THE TOUCH-UP SESSION?
The Touch-up Session, done within two months of the initial treatment, is extremely important to ensure perfect results. We use this session to set the shape and color, and make any small adjustments if needed.
WHAT ARE THE CONTRAINDICATIONS? (NOT recommended under these conditions)
Permanent makeup is NOT recommended for any clients who are or have:
- Pregnant or Nursing
- Viral infections and/or diseases
- A Pacemaker or major heart problems
- Had an Organ transplant
- Tendency towards keloids or scarring
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Skin irritations or Psoriasis near the treated area (rashes, sunburn, acne, etc.)
- Sick (cold, flu, etc.)
- Had Botox in the past 2 months
- Have upcoming vacations or special occasions planned.
- Used Accutane in the past year
- Allergic to anesthetic (Lidocaine)
- Extremely Oily or Problematic Skin
PRE-CARE (Things You May Need to do Before Microblading)
- Do not work out 24 hours before procedure.
- NO alcohol or caffeine 48 hours before procedure (Yes, there is caffeine in decaf coffee and tea!).
- Avoid sun and tanning one week prior to procedure.
- Do not take Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E or Advil/Ibuprofen 48 hours before procedure.
- Avoid Fish Oil, Prenatal Vitamins, Nutritional Shakes (Shakeology, etc.), “Hair, Skin, Nail” supplements 48 hours prior to procedure.
- Discontinue Retin-A, Chemical and Laser Peels, microdermabrasions, and Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) at least 6 weeks prior (and avoid on eyebrow area after procedure to prevent premature fading).
- Botox and filler on the forehead, temple, and eye area should be avoided 1 month prior to procedure for those who do not regularly receive injectables.
- Avoid the following herbs and spices 48 hours before procedure: ginger, cinnamon, garlic, black and cayenne pepper.
- No brow waxing, tinting, or threading one week prior (the more natural hair growth you have, the better!.
- Please Note: You will be more sensitive during your menstrual cycle.
POST-CARE (Information you may need after microblading)
- Do not panic that the area treated may show redness straight after the treatment – this is quite normal and will fade over the rest of the day.
- The strokes may ‘disappear’ before the top up session, this is completely normal and most will show up once more in time for the second session. You may worry you are rejecting the pigment, this is completely normal – don’t panic.
- The color is up to 50% darker straight after the treatment. It will fade after 4-7 days and the true color will not come through until up to 4 weeks after initial treatment. During the healing process, the color may seem to have disappeared or appear patchy, as it is obscured by the healing skin. This is normal and it will return.
- Additional treatments cannot be undertaken until the area has completely healed. A 4 week healing time is required before any more work can be undertaken.
- If showering within 24 hours please try and avoid the water jets hitting the treated area.
- Try to avoid the gym, sauna or pool for 24 hours.
- Once the area has healed completely, approximately one week, consider using a waterproof total sunblock when going out in the sun to stop the color fading.
- Strong chemicals or glycolic acid/peels of any kind may cause the pigment to lighten. Always telephone and check with Wax Cabana if in any doubt.
- Do not pick or pull at the treated area as it will result in pigment loss. You will go through three healing phases: 1) heal, 2) peel and 3) fade. This is where the second session is extremely important – it reinforces the pigment.
- We recommend dry healing. If you wish to apply make-up we suggest you purchase new products to avoid cross infection/contamination.
- Giving Blood– The Red Cross have suggested that you do not give blood for 6 months following treatment.
- MRI Scans– This procedure shows up as an artifact on the scan. Some clients may experience a tingling sensation. Please notify your radiologist.
- Injectables– Dermal fillers and Botox can alter the shape of the eyebrows. Injectables should be carried out after a Microblade Brow procedure and not prior.
- Laser /Pulsed Light– Laser or pulsed light hair removal or skin rejuvenation treatments can cause color change – it is important to advise the therapist that you have had Microblading procedure.
- Color Refreshing– To keep your Microblade Brow looking its best it is recommended that you have a color boost procedure every 12 months.
- It is important to contact Wax Cabana immediately if you feel your procedure is not healing as listed and explain